Thursday, January 3, 2013

A New, New Year's Resolution

Until now, I have never really liked the idea of a New Year's resolution. I have always had the mindset that one should work to better themselves throughout the whole year. But the more I think about it, the more I find the idea beautiful.
There is something to say about a new year. There is something to say about reflecting on who you are and who you want to be. There is something tremendously appealing about starting fresh, about knowing that your past mistakes have been forgiven and redeemed.
This year, I have taken a lot of time reflecting on  my mistakes, but with that, reflecting on the idea of redemption. I have made a lot of mistakes in my life. If there was a hand basket, I would be traveling straight to hell in it. But I have been redeemed by a God who said that I was worthy of redemption. Not worthy because of something that I have done, but worthy because of him. I am worthy because he see's the righteousness of Christ, not my basket full of mistakes.
I have always loved the sunrise. To me, it is the perfect picture of redemption. Each sunrise, is a fresh start. It is a new beginning of a new day where I no longer have to dwell on past mistakes. Because of redemption, I  can press forward with confidence because my mistakes are no longer counted against me.
This is why my feelings have changed about New Year's resolutions. Because of Christ, I can press forward in who he has made me, and who he is currently making me. I can press forward, because you and I were made with intrinsic value.
My New Year's resolution is this, to press forward in who Christ has made me. Because in that, I will find purpose. In that, I will discover that I have already been made whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment